- This event has passed.
Our English History & Its Saints [conference]
7 March @ 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Our English History & Its Saints
A day dedicated to learning about & celebrating our Christian story, presented by Joanna Bogle, DSG.
We were once part of the Roman Empire, the same empire into which Christ was born. The Faith first came to Britain through the trade routes of that same Roman Empire. Then barbarians invaded and there were fresh reasons to evangelise, which led to the Saxon Christian era, the Vikings, the Normans – and then to Middle Ages, the Tudors, on to modern times… Come and hear the whole story!
The day will include:
- Parallel activities for adults and children
- For the adults: talks, workshops and a history walk
- For the children: treasure hunts, stories, fact-finding and creative activities
- Visit to the Stonyhurst College Historic Libraries and Old Chapel Museum
- Morning coffee and buns
- Afternoon tea and cakes
- Drinks reception
Families, couples or individuals are all welcome to join us for a fascinating and informative day!
The day starts at 10am with a welcome over coffee and buns.
For the adults, the day will include the following:
- Introductory talk on Britain’s Christian Story
- Choice of workshops on the Saints of Saxon England
- A Catholic History Walk contemplating Medieval England
- A glimpse of Catholic Recusancy in Stonyhurst’s Old Chapel Museum
- A closing talk on The Tudors and on to Newman
Joanna Bogle, DSG is an author, broadcaster and historian. Currently Visiting Research Fellow at St Mary’s University,
Twickenham, she has lectured in Britain, the USA, and Australia. She has written over 20 books, including on
Newman’s London, A Book of Saints and Heroines and A Yearbook of Seasons and Celebrations. She is well-known for her Catholic History Walks around London. A former London Borough councillor, Joanna is chairman of LOGS – a ladies group in the Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham – and works with the Association of Catholic Women, running events and conferences for families and
schools. She is also chairman of Christian Projects, a charity running Bible-based RE projects for Britain’s secondary schools.
For more information about Joanna Bogle, click here.
Family ticket (2 aduls + 2 children): £78
Buffet lunch supplement: £9.50 (adults), £6.50 (children)
Booking closes 29th February