Theodore House is a Grade II listed building. Previously known as the Old Mill and dating to the 1840s, the site was a corn mill built by the Jesuit school that relocated to Stonyhurst Hall from St Omer, France in 1794. The mill was run by the school community as part of the operation to sustain itself. Comprising of a three storey block with parallel pitched roofs, the mill was powered by water from the two canal ponds that still grace the College’s main driveway. The building fell into disuse and by 2010 part of the roof and the first floor had collapsed.
The site was leased to the charity by Stonyhurst College and has been rebuilt by funds raised from trusts and private donors. Although the original roof and floor structure has been lost, the exterior walls with all their original openings have been conserved, as have three of the original roof beams.
As a result of the careful planning, design and work that has gone into rebuilding Theodore House, the charity has won the regional Building Excellence 2019 award from LABC.