Imagining Reality [study weekend]
20 September @ 6:00 pm - 22 September @ 4:00 pm
A study weekend exploring the connection between reading, imagination, and character formation through the lens of English literature, with special reference to J.R.R. Tolkien.
Dr Victoria Seed and Revd Dr Michael Halsall will present four talks on two fundamental Christian themes: our vision for the created world and our vision for ourselves.
The weekend is a fantastic opportunity for teachers and students of literature and theology, as well as anyone involved in the formation of young people, to consider more profoundly the power of literature as a positive, educative tool.
The talks are titled as follows:
- Why Reading is Good for You: Imagining Our Place in the World
- Creation and Beauty in Tolkien’s Catholic Vision
- Characters with Character: Imagining Ourselves
- Don’t Panic! Courage and Virtue in Tolkien’s Secondary Characters
Each talk will be followed by a guided discussion session in small groups, for which some preparatory reading will be required.
The weekend will opportunities for Communal prayer, Divine Office and Mass.
Cost of the weekend:
- Full board and single room, £235
- Full board and shared room, £195
- Non-residential full board, £115
A £50 deposit per person will be payable upon booking.
Students rates are available: please contact us.